Family Tree File
Click on the link to download and view the file using your default browser:
Download the Family Tree File
- Save the file anywhere in your computer.
- Double click to open the file with your default browser.
This file was tested on Firefox and Safari
- Navigate the sample family to become familiar with how the family tree works.
- Almost everything blue is clickable.
The cursor shape will tell you.
Build your Family Tree
- Use a text editor to populate the file with your family members.
- I am not sure if Windows notepad would work. I have not tried it. You may try it.
- You may download and install Notepad++, it is an easy to use editor.
- The data format is simple. I have not written description but here are some key points:
- Each line follows the following format:
The code is something you makeup to identify a person (eg. grandpa).
The KEY tells what is the data such as NAME, BIRTH-DATE, PARENT, ...
The value is the name of a person, date, ... (eg. Grandpa, 1900-1-1)
- The KEY must be uppercase
- quote (") as the first character in the line
- the line must end with (",)
- the following line is important:
"start_up_person:CONFIG=grandpa", // The person code must exist in the data
Replace grandpa with code of any family member you have already eneterd.
- If the format is incorrect, the file will not display properly or not display at all.
Just recheck the data you typed and correct any mistakes.
- That's it! Ask me if you need help.